The Haunted Borley Rectory: England's Most Haunted Places
The Borley Rectory is one of the most haunted places in England, with a long history of poltergeist activity. The Borley Rectory was built as a home for Reverend Henry Bull in 1863, and sits next door to the Borley Church.
Unusual activity at the rectory includes ghostly apparitions, floating objects, spontaneous displacement of objects, strange smells, cold spots, and the sound of galloping horses. When the rectory was destroyed by fire in 1939, photos of the ruins contained odd images and unexplained anomalies.
One of the last residents there (Captain W.H. Gregson) reported seeing the ghost of a nun wandering the grounds. Other witnesses report seeing Gregson’s ghost walking with a lady in a gray cloak and a bald man in a black jacket.
The most disturbing activity took place with Marianne, the wife of Reverend Lionel Foyster, who lived in the house beginning in 1930. An entity began communicating with Marianne by scratching messages on walls and the whole episode was captured on camera. Also photographed was a floating brick and an apparition that looked like a floating ribbon. Today, odd images and mysterious orbs appear in photographs taken at the Borley Rectory.